Maruti Suzuki India has launched the LPG variant of its popular small car, the Wagon R Duo in India. Priced at Rs. 3.97 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi) for the non-metallic paint variant and Rs. 4.01 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi) for the metallic paint model, the new Wagon R Duo is approximately Rs. 33,000 costlier than the petrol variant of the Wagon R.
The Wagon R Duo comes loaded with a host of new technologies to incorporate the dual fuel option. Safety features on-board the Wagon R Duo include a special module that cuts fuel supply in case of a leak or an accident. The 2011 Duo model will also come with two ECUs, one for each fuel option, working in tandem via a Controller Area Network(CAN) system that easily switches between LPG and petrol through a dashboard mounted switch. In lay mans terms, this means that the Wagon R Duo can switch between LPG and Petrol at the push of a button.
The Wagon R Duo LPG has a range of 890 kilometers on LPG and gasoline combined assuming the average fuel consumption in petrol mode to be 17 km/liter and in LPG 13.5 km/liter.
The new Wagon R Duo LPG has been launched just a few days post the launch of the Chevrolet Beat LPG by GM in India. With a price tag of Rs. 4.10 lakh for the Beat LPG, Maruti’s Blue Eyed Boy will be competing neck to neck with GM’s little Baby in the dual fuel market in India.
Maruti Suzuki Wagon R 2011 Duo LPG Features :
- Hi-Technology Sequential Injection System : Maruti Wagon R Duo has a high tech Sequential Injection system which works by injecting LPG directly into the ports of the engine giving it high performance, power and acceleration.
- Dual ECU : ECU or engine control unit is a microprocessor controlled unit, more like a small computer which control MPFI Petrol Engines, Wagon R Duo has two ECU units, one for Petrol and one for LPG, these two units work in coordination to provide the best possible mileage and performance.
- CAN Technology : Control Area Network Protocol is a technology which helps the two ECUs to communicate and help run the engine intelligently and conduct self-diagnostic tests on the engine making it more reliable.
- Smart Efficient Technology (SET) : Maruti has put up a lot of high end technologies like dual ECUs which can communicate with each other, high efficiency K-Series engine and other safety features which make Maruti Wagon R Duo a high efficiency and hi performance car.
- High LPG Mileage : Use of the intelligent technologies provides mileage of about 14.4 KMPL on LPG fuel and 18.7 KMPL on Petrol.
- Safety and Low Maintenance : Special materials have been used in Wagon R LPG which are safer and require less maintenance and running cost.
- Electrical harness of LPG is integrated with main harness for higher safety.
- LPG Systems are certified for safety by DOE and ARAI.
- In case of any LPG diagnostic problem, LPG is automatically cut off and car will run on petrol.
- Impact resistant LPG tank for higher safety in case of a collision.
- Complete Standard Warranty for 2 years.
- Lowest emissions in its class and BS4 compatible.
- Completely made on assembly line with high manufacturing and quality standards.
- Specially tunes suspension to take care of load changes because of LPG system.
- Easy filling Nozzle : It has its LPG Nozzle placed in the same zone as in the Petrol tank cap, so it feels more natural and is more convenient.
- Easy Changeover Switch from Petrol to LPG and vice-e-versa.
- Space Saving Toroidal LPG tank does not consume much of the boot space
- 60:40 Rear split seat for more storage space in case of more luggage space requirements.
- Electrical Power Steering
- 14 Inch Tubeless radial tyres
Maruti Suzuki Wagon R variants and price comparison :
|Model||Engine||Power||Ex-showroom Price (Non metallic)||Fuel||Running Cost/Km|
|WagonR LXi||998 cc||68 bhp||Rs. 3.65 lakh||Petrol||Rs. 3.47|
|WagonR Duo LXi||998 cc||61.6 bhp||Rs. 3.97 lakh||LPG||Rs. 2.55|
|WagonR CNG LXi||998 cc||59.3 bhp||Rs. 4.17 lakh||CNG||Rs. 2.20|